History of Harrisburg

Capitol City of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg has been an important transportation and commercial hub since being settled in 1719. It became the state capitol in 1812.

Located along the Susquehanna River, its importance as a trading site pre-dates European colonial activities by more than 5,000 years. Beginning in the mid-19th Century, Harrisburg became a major rail hub, a distinction which continues to this day as it is situated on the main Norfolk Southern rail corridor between New York and Chicago. There are two major intermodal yards located in or near the city, as well as a major classification yard. The city is also served by AMTRAK, with 14 high speed trains daily to Philadelphia and New York.

Air travel is from either Harrisburg International Airport (MDT), served by five major carriers, or the nearby executive and general aviation field, Capitol City Airport (CXY).

Though the population of Harrisburg is only 49,000, it is the economic center of a metro region with more than 383,000 people.

In addition, the city is served by eight degree granting schools, with an additional fifteen colleges and universities nearby.

Keystone Opportunity Zone

The Capitol View Commerce Center is located in a Keystone Opportunity Zone (KOZ). Created by the Pennsylvania Department of Economic and Community Development, a KOZ is intended to attract key private sector partners to a specific geographic area and to spur job creation. Companies choosing to locate at Capitol View KOZ will realize significant long term state and local tax benefits.